Wednesday, August 06, 2014

Playing unwilling vs. willing

Right now I have a new RP going, where my character did not want to be changed. It's a punishment for being an aggressive alpha male type, among other motives. So he's furious about being kidnapped and turned into a girl against his will, and what is expected of him as a result. We've had to come up with reasons for him not to kill his abductor, or himself. I'm worried I'm pushing it too far, so I'm looking for a balance.

At a certain point, realistic responses to a forced change have to take a back seat, or such stories will end in escape or revenge. A few do, because that's how they feel they should.

I also have another with a boy who is actually intersex trying to get out of a con trick involving him posing as a lady. He's not used to power so he whines and grumbles as he goes along with it, but he's highly defensive of his negligible masculinity and that's great fun to play.

Willing characters, on the other hand, need some other source of plot, or it's just a changing and dressing fantasy, not a story. They're very easy to play because I'd be a willing character myself, but they might not be much fun to read.

1 comment: