Tuesday, August 05, 2014

Send me back... somewhere nice.

One of the biggest TV shows of the year is likely to be Outlander, a time travel romance based on a very popular book series and with the Battlestar Galactica people making it.

Time travel romance is a major fantasy of mine, but Outlander is a bit of a weird one for me, though, because...

(a) the heroine goes back to the 1740s from the 1940s instead of the present...

(b) I don't really get sexy Highlanders, being Scottish.

(Trivia: a kilt may be a skirt but it doesn't trigger my dressing-in-drag arousal, since it's a MAN skirt and I can wear it at fancy parties without being in drag.)

And (c) the clothes she gets aren't pretty. There were pretty clothes in the 1740s, but not really in rough rural Scotland. There may be a big-pretty-dress scene at some point, of course. But I'd be pretty bummed if I got sent back and had to wear homespun wool all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment